ABOUT OUR TEACHER TOM…
Finding His Way To EBNS:
Teacher ● Father ● Traveler ● Nurturer ● Farmer ● Learner
Early Childhood Education at SUNY Geneseo ● Kindergarten Teacher at Cobblestone School ● Art Teacher in the Rochester City School District
- Child-Centered, experiential education
- engage kids and prepare them for future learning.
- Play! Wonder! Nurture! Fairytales, songs and games are used to open minds and hearts.
- Learning and life are seasonal and rhythmic. Varying play by the season and by the day is purposeful and allows children to learn actively.
Hopes Within the Classroom:
- Every child should feel important and understand that their feelings matter.
- Children will come together respecting and caring for one another so they will grow to function as healthy adults with an appreciation for community.
- When friends are sad, hurt or feeling left out, they talk about how it is important that everyone feel included and safe, with their bodies as well as their hearts.
- Children will be encouraged to notice each other and to let each other know when something is not right or if someone is hurting.
- Embracing the joy of teaching, learning and community!
“What could be more magical than watching children grow?” – Teacher Tom
ABOUT OUR TEACHER AUDREY…
Finding Her Way To EBNS:
Sister ● Babysitter ● Writer ● Activist ● School Mediator
Unschooler since birth ● Teacher Assistant at Elizabeth Clark Dance ● Conflict mediator for K-8th grade students at RCSD #19 School ● Trained in Nonviolent Communication (M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence) and Kingian Nonviolence (Rev. Dr. Bernard Lafayette Jr.)
- Learning happens everywhere
- Play is never time wasted
- Children’s voices are valuable and deserve to be heard
“If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with the children.” -Mahatma Gandhi